How to tie reliable Sabiki rigs?

Community Questions | Tackle | Discussion

How to tie reliable Sabiki rigs?

Postby stickbom! » Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Sabiki rigs are easily found on the market but most of them break after a few fishes. Was thinking of tying my own rigs but the usual knots used for heavy apollo rigs seem to weaken lighter lines and they are prone to breaking too. Does anyone here know a reliable and simple way to tie Sabiki rigs and also how to dress the hook with colored hair?
stickbom!
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby chris@sg » Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm

i snell the spade end hook and use a short piece of lumo tube to trap the colored hair behind the knot.. (think of the shrink tube on assist hooks?)

got very tired and frustrated trying to snell the hair onto the hook..

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day .. Teach a man to fish, and he will be broke.
chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby stickbom! » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks Chris. Will try that! Just tied some bare 3 hook sabiki rigs and trying to figure out the easiest way to dress those gold Duel Hyperwire hooks :D
stickbom!
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby chris@sg » Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 pm

this is mine..

the hair looks a lot because its doubled up .. havent tried it to know if effective tho..

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day .. Teach a man to fish, and he will be broke.
chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby chris@sg » Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 pm

slight variation ..

red size 7 spade end hooks, snelled using 6lb maxima chameleon and dressed with white hair.. dont know if it will work for mullets if i float it ?

chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby stickbom! » Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 am

Nicely done! Where can I buy those white "fur"?
stickbom!
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby chris@sg » Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 am

i bought it at 2000 tackle when they were still at tampines.. didnt look around since then.. but if you have time, i think you can try to fray a white shoelace

chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby stickbom! » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks again Chris
stickbom!
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby tmlim » Sat May 15, 2010 12:51 am

Another good substitute for the colored furs would be the strings sold at handicraft shop to make butterfly emblem. The furs are created by fraying the end of the string and pulling out its center core to a desired length. A meter of this string can last me years of Sabiki making ... but I only fish once a year. :lol:

During tying, the hook is held firmly at the bend to prevent twisting, turning and obstruction. I apply the Domhoff knot to secure the furs onto the hook shank. The Domhoff knot is made up of a series of six whips around the hook shank. This creates a neat lock upon the hook and furs assembly that won't slip and will not lose any strength as the line is pulled tight. The furs are then trimmed at both ends for the finishing touch.

The suitable line poundage and hook size for the Sabiki also depends on the clarity of the water. From my experience, too thick a line and furs can spook the fish and render the Sabiki ineffective in luring.
tmlim
Catfish
Catfish

Postby abfackeln » Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 am

Not exactly a sabiki but a 2 hook 4/0 paternoster, a lot like the snapper snatcher rig the kiwis and aussies like to use except i got a lumo bead in the squidy's head. Threads are tied directly on the snood with a reef knot. The thread is destroyed after 4-5 fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abfackeln
Red Snapper
Red Snapper

Postby fishpullipull » Sat May 15, 2010 8:55 am

abfackeln wrote:Not exactly a sabiki but a 2 hook 4/0 paternoster, a lot like the snapper snatcher rig the kiwis and aussies like to use except i got a lumo bead in the squidy's head. Threads are tied directly on the snood with a reef knot. The thread is destroyed after 4-5 fish.

d above looks like a killer jig......good one abfackeln :smt023

Image sometimes..it's what's left out of an image that says more than what is included...
fishpullipull
Bull Dorado
Bull Dorado

Postby chris@sg » Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 pm

while i was told by a malay uncle at bjt this morning that tambans dont like red (i was testing the red hook with white fur) hence i didnt get a bite (not many people had much bites anyway, including the uncle himself), i did have some attacks by todaks (abt 20 cm skinny ones.., there was a 40 cm one more interested in my lure)

so out of curiousity .. is there a color list for tambans? that they only like gold hooks and green/white fur? anyhting else and they dont bite?

chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby arze » Sat May 15, 2010 9:34 pm

chris@sg wrote:while i was told by a malay uncle at bjt this morning that tambans dont like red (i was testing the red hook with white fur) hence i didnt get a bite (not many people had much bites anyway, including the uncle himself), i did have some attacks by todaks (abt 20 cm skinny ones.., there was a 40 cm one more interested in my lure)

so out of curiousity .. is there a color list for tambans? that they only like gold hooks and green/white fur? anyhting else and they dont bite?

from experience they usually take green and white feathers, all the uncles there sell with gold hooks, so i think its safe to say that this combination is the best for tambans there. i have not seen other colors used effectively
arze
Exciting Queenfish
Exciting Queenfish

Postby Icebomb » Sat May 15, 2010 9:45 pm

From my experience, white fur with gold hooks seems to work a little better than the green ones. I used to like Anglers Pals furry sabiki in the past but the recent new batch seems a little weak at the terminal end... I've found a good substitute in the Sabiki found at Chop Hock Heng... works like a peach. I've used to size 6 to good effect in TP bringing up some sagais and even a kaci... it didnt manage to get the suspected parrot up though... :lol:

Icebomb
Diving Dogtooth

Postby Jmm » Thu May 27, 2010 2:33 pm

I saw a Malay woman using the silver hook instead of gold hooks at bjt. She had the most successful catch of tamban that morning. All of us were using the usual hooks. I asked her where she bought those silver tamban jig. Was told that she bought it at Changi. Last Saturday I went to Changi and got 3 packets of the silver hook...size 5 only. Wanted to get size 3 or 4 but they are not available.

Sorry, I did not go fishing for tamban for quite some time.
Jmm
Blur Sotong
Blur Sotong

Postby stickbom! » Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks everyone!
stickbom!
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby abfackeln » Fri May 28, 2010 2:28 am

Update, reading the posts here gave me an idea, I tried it and it works, but its not easy.

1) Bunch up the few threads and braid them 3-4 times (like the FG knot's braid) around the middle of the hook shank, pack the braid as tightly as possible.

2) Begin the Domhoff knot wraps BEFORE the braid section and end AFTER the thread braids, make sure braid is completely covered plus a bit more.

3) Finish Domhoff as per normal and slide entire knot (including the braids on the inside) up to the eye/spade.

4) Trim threads to your liking.

No chance to test this DIY sabiki yet, but the threads feel very secure inside the domhoff.
abfackeln
Red Snapper
Red Snapper

Postby layman » Fri May 28, 2010 9:37 am

something not so neatly tied.. :p lumo green and shiny white theme..

30lb fc and no. 6 mustad stainless steel long shank hook..

anyone knows where to buy those sabiki skin/paper?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sand Sea + Fish
layman
Cuttlefish
Cuttlefish

Postby Michael Lim » Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 am

chris@sg wrote:while i was told by a malay uncle at bjt this morning that tambans dont like red (i was testing the red hook with white fur) hence i didnt get a bite (not many people had much bites anyway, including the uncle himself), i did have some attacks by todaks (abt 20 cm skinny ones.., there was a 40 cm one more interested in my lure)

If I'm not mistaken. It has to do with the colour spectrum and how it shows up in the water.

The colour combination should try to resemble the food that they are after, which in this case should be shrimps. The greenish hue or whitish hue over a gold core may be the key attractant. :)

Michael Lim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby chris@sg » Fri May 28, 2010 9:52 pm

dont know why, but recently been interested in targeting swajiam and mullet using tamban set ups.. hence trying to switch around .. red being something that swajiam are supposed to be attracted to...

chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray