Question- Maintaining a prawning pond.

Community Questions | Tackle | Discussion

Question- Maintaining a prawning pond.

Postby gaoxing » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I hope to seek some advise frm some senior here. I am intending to open a prawning pond. Most of the infomation i had already got n even had plan out. The only problem i facing now is to maintain the pond.Here are some question i need to seek help for.

. Wats the Correct Ph of the water? Is there any salt needed? (Big Head Prawn.)

. I understand the temp of water play a part also. So wat the temp of water also?

. The pond air pump system. i understand prawns need a lot of air.. so wats is the pump power needed?

. Lastly any lobang of contractor doing the pump n filter system?

Thank!
Best Regard....

OncE a FishermAn... 4Ever a Fisherman~!!!
gaoxing
Slimy Octopus
Slimy Octopus

hahha..

Postby sidewalkz@yahoo.com.sg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:37 pm

wah bro...gd lah...like that got lobang work part time i want ot work leh.... :lol: ...
sidewalkz@yahoo.com.sg
Catfish
Catfish

Postby JinRong » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 pm

hi, i am not a expert. I just wanna share some of my opinion.

If you still cannot find any solution here, maybe can go internet check on those big head prawn and study their lifestyle, the water quality like pH and water temperature.

As for the pump, maybe try copy abit from those other prawning area like Bishan,Jurong,Pasir Ris...

I always notice 1 thing at the prawning places, the prawn died in the water not because of hunger or injury, I think is because the water temperature and the pH, I never see any equipments or instrument to maintain the water temperature.

As for salt, by right any lakes/ponds/reserviors(natural places, not those breeding places) there are natural nutrition or mineral in the water which include a little bit of salt.

I will add little salt in the water even when i breed gold fish :)
JinRong
Parrotfish
Parrotfish

Postby Redshadow » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:44 pm

yes you're right,, the temp is very important and water quality,,
as you've to scoop-up the dead prawn's everyday,,
the temp should be d lowest;;18 degrees,,and the highest is 22 degrees,,
salt yes to maintain the salinity of the water,,

hoep this helps,,

just my 2 cents
Redshadow
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby gaoxing » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for the advise... Noted... Really need to do some study 1st... =) cheerz...

OncE a FishermAn... 4Ever a Fisherman~!!!
gaoxing
Slimy Octopus
Slimy Octopus

Postby mulloway » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm

the pump size and capacity will depend on the size of your pond and what kind of flow rate you require. the filtration will depends on how clean you want the water to be. filter size will affect your flow rate too. drop me a pm if you want more info on pumps and filters.
mulloway
Jumping Tarpon
Jumping Tarpon

Postby stingraytan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:45 am

JinRong wrote:I always notice 1 thing at the prawning places, the prawn died in the water not because of hunger or injury, :)

may i know how u know that?

think sustainability
stingraytan
Nice Barramundi
Nice Barramundi

Postby Redshadow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:26 am

stingraytan wrote:
JinRong wrote:I always notice 1 thing at the prawning places, the prawn died in the water not because of hunger or injury, :)

may i know how u know that?

to answer your question,, is that the PH and water temp change
Redshadow
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper

Postby Michael Lim » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Make sure the pH level is buffered and does not crash or rise dramatically....

A good filtration system with the proper buffering compounds should be able to handle this issue. Salinity should be kept slightly on the high side (aka brackish) And make sure the water is constantly aerated.

Note also that the food left over from the baits and feeding can also affect the water, thus the filter must be fully matured and capable of handling the volume of water and waste.

Nitrate spikes and pH changes should be the main culprit for many prawn deaths.

Michael Lim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby Trevor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Michael Lim wrote:Make sure the pH level is buffered and does not crash or rise dramatically....

A good filtration system with the proper buffering compounds should be able to handle this issue. Salinity should be kept slightly on the high side (aka brackish) And make sure the water is constantly aerated.

Note also that the food left over from the baits and feeding can also affect the water, thus the filter must be fully matured and capable of handling the volume of water and waste.

Wahh Boss.. u still into FishKeeping huh? :) :)
Trevor
Strong Shovelnose
Strong Shovelnose

Postby Michael Lim » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 am

Trevor wrote:
Michael Lim wrote:Make sure the pH level is buffered and does not crash or rise dramatically....

Wahh Boss.. u still into FishKeeping huh? :) :)

yup.. only left cories... :)

Michael Lim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby chris@sg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 am

want my tank bred KBL and soon hock? both about 6 inches now.. :) then no more cories..

sorry , back to topic, i always thought big head prawns were relatively fresh water species?

And is the pond in a concrete structure or in a natural area ? I think natural area will have minerals etc leaching out into the water, whereas in a concrete structure, you may have to supplement it..

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day .. Teach a man to fish, and he will be broke.
chris@sg
Stubborn Stingray
Stubborn Stingray

Postby stingraytan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:31 pm

chris@sg wrote:sorry , back to topic, i always thought big head prawns were relatively fresh water species?

t..

yes they are freshwater species that lives in rivers, and spawning is induced either via high tide or prawns migrate near river mouth.

commercially bred, saltwater/salt is introduced to stimulate spawning.

think sustainability
stingraytan
Nice Barramundi
Nice Barramundi

Postby Michael Lim » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 pm

chris@sg wrote:want my tank bred KBL and soon hock? both about 6 inches now.. :) then no more cories..

sorry , back to topic, i always thought big head prawns were relatively fresh water species?

And is the pond in a concrete structure or in a natural area ? I think natural area will have minerals etc leaching out into the water, whereas in a concrete structure, you may have to supplement it..

The salt is also a form of buffering. As the salinity increases, the chances of the pH crashing or rising drastically is lowered.

As for the minerals, it would be pretty negligible...

Michael Lim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Postby fishyDen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Maybe you can do some prep-work.

Know who your possible suppliers are (possibly from Malaysia) and pay them a visit, get their water analysis (report) if they have one or collect some sample otherwise. I believe there will be labs here that can help you analyze the water if need be.

Most of the farm will use well or stream water and depending on their source from limestone region or not, their pH may vary slightly among other parameters like salinity and kH. You can also see what the general water temp like in these farms.

All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
fishyDen
Greedy Grouper
Greedy Grouper